Science (Day 2)
"History o the Husky"
1. Students will be able to identify the dogs used in dog sledding
2. Students will be able to identify the terms used for mushing.
3. Students will be able to care for dogs during the Iditarod race.
- In this lesson the students will be introduced to the dogs used in the
Iditarod. They will be given a list of terms to define in groups and then
come together to share. The students will also learn how to care for the
1. Term list
2. History of the Alaskan husky sheet
1. Begin by asking the students if they know what breed of dogs are used
in dog sledding. (Various examples would be given) Explain to the students
that the dogs are called Alaskan Husky and go into an explanation on what
are mean by Alaskan Huskies in relation to the musher.
( History of the Alaskan husky)
2. Divide the students into groups of two or three. Hand out a Term list to each
group for them to look up and find definition. Divide the
definitions equally among the groups. Have them go to the computers to
look up the definitions.
3. Once they find they definitions, have them find a way to creatively share
what they have found with the class.
4. The class should be writing down what the groups are telling them for
tomorrow’s Language Arts class.
5. Once all the terms have been identified, ask the class to recall which
ones are specific to the care of the dogs.
6. Next, have the students independently, look up
http://www.cabelasiditarod.com/runyan_dog_care.html and read the
basic dog care information provided.
- The students will write a journal entry about how to care for his/her
dogs on the Iditarod trip that they are taking.
- Student can further research dog sledding at
1. During computer time monitor how well the students are staying on
task and working with partners.
2. Make informal assessments on how the students participate in the class
Lesson Plans Unit Outline Science Lessons